You can visit the Library and view collection material in one of our reading rooms.
First you will need to get a Library card. Register online and your card will be posted or you can pick it up when you visit the Library.
Use the catalogue
- Use the catalogue to find what you need.
- Request items directly from the catalogue using your library card. You can request up to 15 items at a time.
View items in person
- Opening hours, including public holidays are listed on our website. Check them before you make your visit – there are different hours for different reading rooms.
- Items will be delivered to the reading room indicated on the catalogue record.
- Collection delivery is usually up to 45 minutes for general collection material and will be kept for seven days. You can request material before your visit so it is ready and waiting when you arrive.
- Check our collection delivery times for details of special collection deliveries.
- Log in to the catalogue at any time to see the status of your requests.
Copies and printing
- Printing, scanning and photocopying facilities are available.
- Use your library card for copying and printing.
- Add valueto your card at the card kiosks in the Main Reading Room.
Can't visit the Library?
- If you can't visit the Library in Canberra then you can use Trove to see if the item is available at a library closer to you.
- Another option is to request an item be delivered to your local library. Your local library will be able to tell you about this service, called interlibrary loan, including how much it costs.